William G. BenzPartner
William G. Benz is a seasoned litigator in the firm’s trust and estate litigation and business transactions departments. He assists a broad array of clients, ranging from private professional fiduciaries to privately-owned companies.
Mr. Benz represents both beneficiaries and fiduciaries in complex probate court matters – including family-member, paid professional, and public fiduciaries. Due to his background in business and corporate law, Mr. Benz brings to bear a unique set of tools that aids him in trust and estate disputes involving intricate layered corporate entities. He also helps his clients in cases of financial elder abuse, fiduciary surcharge and removal, and Probate Code section 850 petitions to recover trust property.
Mr. Benz is also experienced in forming businesses and ventures, including limited liability companies, S-Corporations, C-Corporations, and the transition or sale of existing businesses.
He is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in California, has served as counsel for Amicus Curie in front of the California Supreme Court, and has prosecuted cases for the Long Beach City Prosecutor’s office through the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Trial Advocacy Program.
Mr. Benz received his B.A. in Political Science – Public Law from the University of California, San Diego and obtained his J.D. from the University of California, Davis where he served as Senior Editor of the U.C. Davis Business Law Journal. He is also a graduate of the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Trial Advocacy Program.
Awards & Certifications:
- Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation – Trusts & Estates, 2021 – 2022
- Southern California SuperLawyers®, Rising Star 2016-2018, 2022
- Martindale Hubbell® BV Distinguished Rating
Publications & Presentations:
- Removal of Fiduciaries and Accounting Litigation, Probate Litigation 101: The Nuts and Bolts, Part II, Online Webinar Series Pincus Professional Education, November 12th, 2020.
- Statutory Deadlines Probate Litigation 101: The Nuts and Bolts, Part I, Online Webinar Series Pincus Professional Education, November 10th, 2020.